[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sun Apr 17 00:58:03 EDT 2011

On 4/16/2011 9:46 PM, McTim wrote:
> <originally sent offlist by error-reposting to PPML>
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Matthew Kaufman<matthew at matthew.at>  wrote:

>>> Correct.
>>>
>> I was being sarcastic. There's almost nothing open or transparent about this.
>
> Is any transaction between ARIN (or any of the RIRs) and members "open
> and transparent"?

Well, I suppose we haven't decided just how transparent *the IPv4
transfer market* should be. Note that it has requirements for
transparency that are substantially different than those of the previous
address allocation work.

> Do you want to be looking over the shoulders of the staff over every
> transaction?

No, perhaps just the first time, or when there's substantial evidence
(including the documents filed with the court, which I've now received
several copies of from helpful list members) that the policies *were
not* in fact followed.

> Do you want the world to know every detail of every request for
> resources that you make?

No, but this isn't a resource request, this is an address transfer, and
again we don't really know how transparent it should be to make the
market work effectively.

> How about for every assignment you make to customers, shouldn't they
> be subject to the same transparency you seem to seek in this one case?

No, see above.

> I suspect your answers to all of the above to be "No".  If so, why do
> you want to know about this one, because it is in the news?  If your
> answers are "Yes", you are welcome to write a policy proposal to that
> effect.

Given that policy appears to not have been followed in this case, why
should I bother suggesting any additions or changes to policy?

Matthew Kaufman