[arin-ppml] APNIC out of v4

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sun Apr 17 00:10:52 EDT 2011

Absolutely, this matter HAS been considered and rejected.

ARIN is dominated by United States members and this is one
thing about the United States that is a cultural difference
from Asia and Europe, too.

When change comes around, US culture prefers going "cold
turkey" rather than a gradual transition.

Other cultures are more willing to make allowances for
transitions to affect people more gradually.  But in the US
we want to get the pain over with quick and go on to the
next thing.

For that reason I doubt the ARIN community will ever support
austerity measures that prolong the availability of
small IPv4 blocks.

Ted

On 4/16/2011 6:20 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I believe this matter has been well considered and the idea
> thoroughly rejected by the community on a few occasions over the last
> 24 months.
>
> Owen
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 16, 2011, at 3:42 PM, John Curran<jcurran at arin.net>  wrote:
>
>> On Apr 14, 2011, at 8:03 PM, Charles
>> O'Hern<charles at office.tcsn.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> just saw this:
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/it-8217s-official-asia-8217s-just-run-out-of-ipv4-addresses/948

Note also that as APNIC enters this stage of available IPv4 resources,
their policies for allocation transition into a specific set of
austerity measures designed to prolong availability of small IPv4 blocks
for requesters for as long as possible.