[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Apr 15 20:08:22 EDT 2011

Thanks, John.

On Apr 15, 2011, at 6:30 PM, John Curran wrote:

> From the press release: "ARIN President and CEO John Curran stated
> he was pleased that Microsoft has followed the Internet community's
> adopted policies for such transfers"

That sounds like great news.  I'm glad to hear that ARIN will recognize sales such as this, going forward; it is good to have the Microsoft / Nortel deal as a template for future transactions.

Of course, the devil is in the details, as they say.  If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for additional clarification.  There are some questions raised by http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2011/4/15/4796200.html in which Milton says:

"Numerous aspects of ARIN's policies and procedures were broken in this hasty attempt to insert itself into the transaction. First, ARIN's transfer policy stipulates that recipients (buyers) are supposed to sign an RSA, not an LRSA."

Milton also has a comment that Nortel hasn't signed any agreements with ARIN.  I have assumed that an agreement would be necessary to "release" blocks to ARIN for transfer to the buyer.

Can you explain how policy is implemented in these regards?

Thanks,
-Benson