[arin-ppml] Portability of demand (was: APNIC out of v4)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 15 04:59:06 EDT 2011

On Apr 14, 2011, at 10:33 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> Could we get a comment from ARIN staff about what ARIN plans to do about applicants from the APNIC area who will now shift their requests to other RIRs?

ARIN will do whatever the community directs (to our best determination) based
on adopted policy and our mission. To be specific in this case, the current
operational practice for implementing our regional nature is to ensure that
an organization has a legal presence in the ARIN region (they must show some
type of legal documentation that shows they are authorized to do business in
the US such as state incorporation documents, etc.).  Additionally, they must
plan on using the address space within the ARIN region.

At the ARIN Public Policy Meeting this week, Leslie Nobile (ARIN's Director of
Registration Services) raised this same matter in the Policy Experience Report
an area for the community to consider for possible possible development work
(slides are available online; pages 7 & 8 discuss this particular issue -
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVII/PDF/Monday/nobile_policy_experience.pdf)
To the extent that the community has a better idea on how ARIN staff should
handle potential requests from other regions, policy proposals are welcome.

I hope this helps in considering the matter!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN