[arin-ppml] APNIC out of v4

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 14 23:10:34 EDT 2011

On Apr 14, 2011, at 7:33 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> Could we get a comment from ARIN staff about what ARIN plans to do about applicants from the APNIC area who will now shift their requests to other RIRs?
>
> Matthew Kaufman (who has found the graphs showing APNIC running out but no other RIR's runout accelerating at that point... interesting)

Geoff has explicitly stated that his numbers do not factor in request portability
because there is no good or valid way to quantify it. As a result, they are
horrendously optimistic in my humble opinion. (Note, I speak here as an
interested observer and a member of the community, not in my role
as an AC member).

I don't know what you'll get out of ARIN staff, but, I suspect it will be something
along the lines of "We will continue to follow the policies set by the community".

I'm pretty sure that I understand the current operational practice, but, I will
give staff an opportunity to make a detailed and accurate response before
I share my own personal understanding which may not be 100% accurate
or current.

Owen