[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Apr 14 17:18:38 EDT 2011

In a message written on Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 01:39:12PM -0700, Charles O'Hern wrote:
> Yes, but, given that only 10 individuals from 10 organizations are needed to pass a petition, reducing the member of the AC's ability to be counted in that number seems to be a
> good idea because even 1 or 2 AC members would count as 10-20% of the 'votes' necessary to override the majority opinion of the AC.  I had a thought that this should be larger, but
> Joe is right in that participation in the petitions tends to be fairly low already.

Remember that AC members actually have a disincentive to push forward
a petition, it ends up right back in their lap, and they have to
fight the same battle a second time.

If the AC votes something down 10-5, and all 5 petition, get it to
the next stage, and then AC has to take the next action they are
going to be right back to a 10-5 vote in many couts, probably with
some of the 10 now angry they have to take it up again.

To get a policy implemented using this method would take multiple
petitions (one at each stage) and then somehow convincing the board at
the last step that the PDP was followed and this represents the will of
the community after the AC voted against it multiple times.  I think it
would take a high bar for the board to buy that.  There are way too many
safeguards in the process already to worry about any single petition.