[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Apr 14 11:54:33 EDT 2011

In a message written on Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 03:44:40PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> As Marty noted, the AC adopted a rule to not be included in
> the petition count, but specifically noted that they can still
> participate in the discussion of the merits of the petition.

I understand, and I still disagree.  I can't change the AC's standing
rules, but I also see where you said there was something similar
going into the PDP as a community member I can stand up and oppose
that action.

Back when I was on the AC there was a minority that when an AC
member would speak in public would pull that person aside and attempt
to persuade them that it was not good for the AC.  They wanted to
curtail the other Member's ability to speak in public about their
viewpoint.

What this action tells me is that this sort of view is growing,
migrating now to organizational rules in an attempt to limit people
speaking up.  Even though the rule allows them to voice their
(uncounted) opinion, the message is clear.  You got your say in the
AC, now shut up.

The result is that the community does not have the full benefit of
understanding the views and opinions of the dissenters on the AC.
Rather than encouraging these folks to explain themselves to the
community and use the process (including petitions) they are being
systematically told to be quite and fall in line.

I oppose any rules that limit AC members participation in any public
policy process.  Being elected to the AC should not mean you have
to give up any rights in the normal process.