[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Apr 14 10:33:42 EDT 2011

I'm not sure what I find more sad here, the fact that Marty is once
again spilling the AC's dirty laundry onto PPML, or the fact that
the AC has so many people on it intent on being secretive and
controlling.

I am personally disgusted with the path the AC has taken over the
last few years, which is part of the reason I chose not to run for
reelection.  I can't fathom why rational people would try and prevent
AC members from acting as normal members of the community.  It runs
counter to pretty much everything that happens in normal society.

Most people praise their elected officials from being active civic
participants.  When our elected officials go to vote (for themselves!)
it's shown on the evening news as an example for the rest of us to
follow.  When they go to protest, it's also an example.  Just a few
days ago the mayor of DC was arrested at a protest, for example.
We don't prevent elected officials from signing recall petitions,
or any other participation in government.

Many on the AC seem to feel that once a decision is made, all must
tow that line.  That is a dangerous, chilling situation.  It reduces
the effectiveness of the AC by reducing discussion and searching for
alternative solutions.  It makes the AC look more secretive, as
decisions are made in private and then not discussed externally.

Dissent is an essential part of any democratic body.  I wish the
AC would focus much more on _why_ there is dissent than trying to
snuff it out and impose a totalitarian structure.