[arin-ppml] History Lesson (was: DRAFT POLICY ARIN-2011-1: GLOBALLY COORDINATED TRANSFER POLICY (Legacy space))

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 13 09:16:15 EDT 2011

On Apr 13, 2011, at 8:54 AM, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:

> The IETF can discuss this, or ARIN, whichever venue the community
> chooses. The catch is that as long as the discussion involves the
> actions of a consensual cooperating community there isn't a
> problem.

Hence my question...  what venue is appropriate for discussion
on evolving Internet-wide principles that help keep the Internet
running?  It certainly doesn't have to be IETF, or ARIN, or any
other particular forum, but it should be an venue which allows
open and transparent participation by all who are interested.

> What the future holds is anyone's guess. The Internet was a wonderful
> thing in its early years in part because it was governed and operated
> by a dedicated cadre of people who really believed in "doing the right
> thing" in an altruistic way. But today, the real world, with all of
> its inequities, grit and selfish actors, is upon us. I hope that
> sanity prevails...

One can hope.

/John

John Curran