[arin-ppml] History Lesson (was: DRAFT POLICY ARIN-2011-1: GLOBALLY COORDINATED TRANSFER POLICY (Legacy space))

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 13 06:50:05 EDT 2011

On Apr 12, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:

>  "By approving this document as a Best Current Practice,the IESG
>   asserts its belief that this policy described herein is an accurate
>   representation of the current practice of the IP address registries
>   with respect to address assignment.  This does not constitute
>   endorsement or recommendation of this policy by the IESG.
> I am pretty much responsible for that note. In our deliberations
> within the IESG (John, I believe you were there as well) I objected to
> the proposed document (which would become RFC2050). One objection
> (called a DISCUSS vote) was sufficient to stall a document. And
> DISCUSS we did...   The basis of my objection was that the document
> covered what I believed to be business practices and was not really
> about technology.

Jeff -

Your IESG reminiscing ;-) raises some important questions about next
steps:

What principles do you believe are most appropriate for a global
framework for Internet number resource management today, and where
should that be discussed if not the IETF?  Also, given that RFC 2008
is also a BCP but clearly discusses more technical matters of Internet
address architecture and implications, where should a discussion of such
Internet-wide constraints occur?  It seems that these would be rather
essential questions to determine if we're going to further evolve the
addressing architecture of the Internet.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO