[arin-ppml] DRAFT POLICY ARIN-2011-1: GLOBALLY COORDINATED TRANSFER POLICY (Legecy space)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 02:31:04 EDT 2011

Hullo Milton,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

<snip>

>> The RIRs themselves, and the IANA above them, are subject to the needs-
>> based regime as well.
>
> Can you find that in the ICANN bylaws? The IANA contract? The international telecommunication regulations?

Perhaps you can help me understand your position.

In all your previous writings (from the various lists to which we are
both subscribed), and blog posts, I take it that you are a champion of
End Users (NCUC Chair for many years) and decry the "capture" of ICANN
processes by monied interests in ICANN (Registries and Registrars).

But in the numbering world, you seem to be championing the very same
kind of market that has led to this capture and influence.  I would
have thought you would want the most open, transparent, bottom up PDPs
in Internet Governance (the RIR PDPs) to stay that way.  Instead, you
seem to want to invite multiple competing registries to operate
alongside the RIRs, with no guarantee that their policies could be
influenced by endusers (as is possible on this list for example).

Can you help me with this disconnect?

--
Cheers,

McTim