[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:40:13 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:35, Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net> wrote:
> Hi, Chris.
>
> (Sorry for my delayed response.  Travel, work, etc - all the normal excuses apply.)

No worries - thanks for responding. =)

> As interested as I would be in a discussion of government consent models, that would miss the point entirely.  ARIN isn't a government body, and has no mandate to govern beyond its own organization.  Even the worlds most perfect open policy process would not be an excuse for expanding control beyond ARIN's scope.

Right, ARIN is not a government body, but it is (imho) a bastion of
industry self-governance (self-governance being entirely voluntary of
course). If we fail to self-govern well, then we may well see "true"
government involvement...

> And that is my basic premise - we are creating voluntary policy, to be enforced by a volunteer organization, on a community that voluntarily complies.  That reality should inform the core of our policy-making, even more so now that the free-pool is near its end.  ARIN should accommodate the community, or the community (that voluntarily complies) will shrink.

I believe that in this, we are in violent agreement.

I guess my perspective is that we (the active participants) are doing
everything we can to do just that (I, for one, always strive to meet
the needs of the entire community and I see many others doing the
same) but we will always have a hard time meeting unstated needs and
solving undefined problems.

Please feel free to bend my ear between/after sessions this week if
you have a moment.

Cheers,
~Chris

--