[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Apr 10 17:00:56 EDT 2011

On Apr 10, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

On Apr 10, 2011, at 4:48 AM, John Curran wrote:

This topic is mentioned in the AC meeting notes regarding both ARIN-Prop-133 and ARIN-Prop-136, but is a misrepresentation.  Neither proposal introduces an "independent registry".
Are you suggesting that "an authoritative directory service" and
"replacement directory service" do not reference registries that
would be independent of ARIN?

The words "replacement directory service" neither exclude or require alternative registries.  For instance, an address holder that operates a rwhois server is providing a directory service yet is not inherently a registry.

In fact, this rwhois example is a primary use-case that I had in mind when writing the proposal.

An address holder operating a Rwhois server was the primary use case you had in mind for
which of the policy proposals?

I was present at ARIN's formation, and my comments stand.  Revisiting ARIN's role
in these services would ultimately be the decision of the ARIN Board of Trustees,
as I also previously stated.  For example, such changes could be the result of
evolution in the structure of the Internet number registry system, per the global
policy processes.

Do I understand you correctly, that the ARIN Board of Trustees has given you direction that "ARIN is unable to not serve resources in the ARIN region" at this time?

Incorrect.   As recorded in minutes of the AC meeting, I stated "There can be policy
changes, but changing this practice by completing abandoning service would require
active consideration by the ARIN Board regarding how this obligation may evolve."

In either case, can you be more specific about your presence at ARIN's formation - what is the source of your comments that "ARIN is required to serve" and "ARIN is unable to not serve resources in the ARIN region"?

Again, per the minutes of the AC meeting, I stated 'At inception ARIN expressed a
commitment to both the US Gov. and to ISP community that we would serve the
existing number registrations "as-is". '  You can consider this a statement of fact.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO