[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Sun Apr 10 16:26:38 EDT 2011

On Apr 10, 2011, at 4:48 AM, John Curran wrote:

>> This topic is mentioned in the AC meeting notes regarding both ARIN-Prop-133 and ARIN-Prop-136, but is a misrepresentation.  Neither proposal introduces an "independent registry".
> Are you suggesting that "an authoritative directory service" and
> "replacement directory service" do not reference registries that
> would be independent of ARIN?

The words "replacement directory service" neither exclude or require alternative registries.  For instance, an address holder that operates a rwhois server is providing a directory service yet is not inherently a registry.

In fact, this rwhois example is a primary use-case that I had in mind when writing the proposal.  I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss this, if the AC had given the shepherds more time to discuss the text with me rather than denying their request.

>> Further, in regard to a similar Policy Proposal 2007-15 the ARIN General Counsel wrote "Currently I am unaware of any contractually binding or implied duty of ARIN to maintain such service" which seems to contradict your statement that "ARIN is required to serve" all number resources in the region.  (The complete proposal and review can be read at http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2007-October/009467.html if you wish.)
>>
>> In the context of proposal 136, your statements go even further than the above context.  As noted in the minutes, you said "ARIN is unable to not serve resources in the ARIN region" - rather than an obligation to serve, you're suggesting that address holders in the ARIN region have an obligation to submit to ARIN policy.  I am not a lawyer, but I agree with your counsel and find nothing to support your claim.
>
> I was present at ARIN's formation, and my comments stand.  Revisiting ARIN's role
> in these services would ultimately be the decision of the ARIN Board of Trustees,
> as I also previously stated.  For example, such changes could be the result of
> evolution in the structure of the Internet number registry system, per the global
> policy processes.

Do I understand you correctly, that the ARIN Board of Trustees has given you direction that "ARIN is unable to not serve resources in the ARIN region" at this time?

In either case, can you be more specific about your presence at ARIN's formation - what is the source of your comments that "ARIN is required to serve" and "ARIN is unable to not serve resources in the ARIN region"?

Thanks,
-Benson