[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without network service

Charles O'Hern charles at office.tcsn.net
Fri Apr 8 15:45:29 EDT 2011

On 4/8/11 10:50 AM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> Fundamentally, the business and operational practices of address holders is beyond ARIN's scope.

Except when those business and operational practices involve address resource assignment or re-allocation.

> As an IP address registry, ARIN has an important mission.  Attempting to extend regulatory control beyond the organization's mandate is inappropriate.  This proposal would be harmful to ARIN's ability to execute on the primary mission, and would be inconsistent with the best interests of ARIN's constituency.
>
> Pragmatically, this proposal fails to achieve the author's goal, and it is not reasonable to do so in the NRPM.  The terminology "network services" is vague; I imagine that "network consulting services" and "network connectivity services" can both be interpreted as consistent with this policy proposal.  However, more restrictive wording would disenfranchise network operators that offer unique or innovative services.

I agree that the wording is vague, which is why I haven't yet voiced support for this policy.  I agree with its intent and haven't yet thought of a rephrasing that I feel is less
vague yet not overly restrictive.

--
Charles O'Hern
Network Operations