[arin-ppml] Final draft of 2010-13 for Atlanta (Rev 1.55)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Sep 29 11:56:03 EDT 2010

In a message written on Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:46:51AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> 	Waiting is fatal if you want to set space aside for transition beyond
> the /10 that is already set aside for a very vague and limited subset
> of transitional technologies. One of the key points of this was the
> realization that with the broad set of transition needs staring us
> in the face, 4.10 was wholly inadequate to the task and it really
> does make much more sense to reserve the entire last /8.

I don't have a strong position on the /8 vrs /10 argument.  I think
there are problems with both arguments, and in effect the community
is picking its favorite poison, rather than making anything better.
Would you prefer to die by firing squad or hanging?

That said, if folks really want to reserve a /8 I believe that can
be done in at least one, and perhaps two orders of magnitude less
text, in a way that is easy to understand and has no side effects.