[arin-ppml] What is a "host"?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 21 09:47:37 EDT 2010

>> Respectfully, the assumption that IPv6 renumbering will prove
>> meaningfully less costly than IPv4 renumbering is still unfounded.
>> Wait for it to play out in large, real-world deployments before
>> building this assumption into policy.
>
> Has anyone done an in-depth analysis of this? There are many organizations
> that have been running IPv6 at scale for many years now, and most of them
> do have experience of renumbering. We need more facts and less guesswork.

I can speak from my own experience renumbering both IPv4 and IPv6 networks...

There are many aspects to renumbering any but the simplest of environments.
The easiest aspects (renumbering dynamically assigned hosts without DNS)
is even easier in IPv6 than it was in IPv4 and more seemless.

All of the other aspects are an identical effort. In order of increasing difficulty,
here are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. I think it is a fairly complete
list:

	Static Hosts
	Hosts with forward DNS
	DNS Servers
	Hosts whose addresses appear in multiple configuration files you control
	Hosts whose addresses appear in configuration files you do not control
		within your organization
	Hosts whose addresses appear in configuration files in devices controlled
		by third party organizations

Owen