[arin-ppml] 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 21 09:41:51 EDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 00:00, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> Furthermore, very large hierarchical end-user networks, especially for a
>> large multinational corporation, are not precluded from considering
>> themselves as an ISP or LIR, and then starting with a /32 and being able to
>> avail themselves of HD-Ratio.  That might be more appropriate anyway, the
>> networks for large multinational corporation with many independent business
>> units, probably have much more in common with ISPs then the majority of
>> other end-user networks.
>
> I believe for many "large" end-users, this is the most logical approach.
>
> The posture child in a previous e-mail thread was HP.  While
> I have no idea how HP networking operates internally, my
> first thought is that it is likely they are more like an ISP/LIR
> in that they provide service to their BU's/departments/whatevers
> and delegate address ranges to those groups for their
> uses.

HP has many many many buildings (sites). Since they can get a /48
for each one under this policy (and lots of extra /48s, beyond that, too),
I'm pretty sure they could get by and would be no worse off with this
policy than with one involving HD Ratios.

> I would like to be sure that ARIN policy make it easy for such
> "end-users" to consider themselves ISP/LIRs (/32) where
> appropriate and justified.

That has more to do with how we frame the ISP/LIR policy and the
ARIN fee structure than it does this policy.

This policy is about end users that want to be considered end users.

Owen