[arin-ppml] What is a "host"?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 21 09:34:43 EDT 2010

>> Given that we are talking about IPv6 renumbering, not IPv4 renumbering,
>> subnets still seems like a good measure. In IPv6, the subnets are unchanged
>> and you just change the network prefix handed out by SLAAC or DHCPv6.
>
> In theory renumbering in IPv6 is easier than in IPv4, but in practice, while it is easier, it is not that significantly easier.  Especially, when compared to renumbering IPv4 with DHCP, DNS is the biggest hassle in both cases.  This might have been different if we were able to figure out A6 records, or something like them.

If you think DNS is the biggest hassle in renumbering, you have never renumbered a complex environment.

The biggest hassle in renumbering any complex real-world environment is the number of
places your addresses appear in configuration files you do not manage.

	+	Partner VPNs
	+	Customer VPNs
	+	Customer links
	+	Customer Firewall Rulesets
	+	Partner Firewall Rulesets
	+	Sometimes Employee {firewall,vpn,router} configurations

Owen