[arin-ppml] 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Sep 20 16:53:51 EDT 2010

 On 20 Sep 2010 12:59, Davis, Terry L wrote:
> As you think about this, don't forget truly global international infrastructures.

There is no "global" infrastructure; all infrastructure is located in
_some_ region(s).  Multi-region networks can either obtain a prefix from
one RIR and use it everywhere (if that RIR's policies allow), or they
can obtain a separate prefix from each RIR for use in that region.  This
is not complicated.

> The International Civil Aviation Organization has published the requirement for new (Next generation) Air Traffic Management systems to utilize IPv6 addressing.  Currently they provide OSI Air Traffic Network addresses for all existing commercial and civil aviation globally to "all" aircraft owners/operators.
>
> They likely will be looking for a single global PI IPv6 allocation for this new IPv6 based Air Traffic Network infrastructure soon.

And, if they can find a RIR that will give them one, more power to them.

However, unless they're going to act as the sole LIR/ISP for every
aviation-related network in the world, including connectivity to the
public Internet, that doesn't seem like a good idea.  I find it much
more sensible for each member to get its own PI prefix, which can be
advertised both into the ICAO network and the public Internet.

> PS: Also don't forget that other folks like international non-profit organizations, international trade organizations, multi-entity national infrastructures (rail, grids), and others will likely also want IPv6 PI spaces too.

Same answer.  Merely operating across country or continental borders
does not exempt one from the RIR system; there are hundreds if not
thousands of examples of multinational corporations, and the RIR system
works just fine.  I see no reason why non-profits, trade organizations,
infrastructure operators, etc. should be exempt when, as far as the
network is concerned, they are no different.