[arin-ppml] What is a "host"?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Sep 20 16:24:26 EDT 2010

> The worldwide systemic cost of introducing an IPv6 route into the BGP
> table is somewhere between $10k and $15k per year by now.
> (http://bill.herrin.us/network/bgpcost.html)

Then on that basis, cut out the clause about 1000 hosts.
That would make a lot more sense than trying to include
complicated technical terminology into ARIN policy.

> Respectfully, the assumption that IPv6 renumbering will prove
> meaningfully less costly than IPv4 renumbering is still unfounded.
> Wait for it to play out in large, real-world deployments before
> building this assumption into policy.

Has anyone done an in-depth analysis of this? There are many organizations
that have been running IPv6 at scale for many years now, and most of them
do have experience of renumbering. We need more facts and less guesswork.

--Michael Dillon