[arin-ppml] What is a "host"?

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Sep 17 17:39:36 EDT 2010

> Really, counting up the number of things that require an IPv6 link
> local address is _NOT_ rocket science, nor is it technically complex.
>
> Owen

Nor is it the appropriate concept for creating policy if that is the
definition.  I have four web servers in a load-balanced pool, each with
one NIC.   So, as per your definition, they are only 4 hosts.  But, on
each of those servers, I have multiple /64's assigned, one for each
customer.  They have to be discrete /64's for the load balancing to
work.  So far I have provisioned 20 customers, so I have 80 /64's that
are assigned across 4 NICs.  Does this mean I still only have 4 hosts?
Although I have 20 customers?  And 80 /64's?

Rather than argue about the definition of host, I would rather the term
be abandoned all together and something more inclusive be used.  I am
not misusing addresses in my configuration but none of those allocations
would be appropriate if "host" is the defining baseline.

Regards,

Mike