[arin-ppml] 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Sep 16 17:18:40 EDT 2010

On 9/15/10 11:50 CDT, Leo Vegoda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14 Sep 2010, at 12:52, David Farmer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> d. By providing a reasonable technical justification indicating why IPv6
>> addresses from an ISP or other LIR are unsuitable.
>>
>> Examples of justifications for why addresses from an ISP or other LIR
>> may be unsuitable include, but are not limited to:
>>
>> • An organization that operates infrastructure critical to life safety
>> or the functioning of society can justify the need for an assignment
>> based on the fact that renumbering would have a broader than expected
>> impact than simply the number of hosts directly involved. These would
>> include: hospitals, fire fighting, police, emergency response, power or
>> energy distribution, water or waste treatment, traffic management and
>> control, etc…
>
> I suspect it would be useful to readers of the eventual policy to also include examples of organizations that would not qualify, so that potential applicants can identify where their organization fits on the scale.

This is useful feed back and I will consider adding examples that would
not qualify as well as those that do.  If anyone has idea along these
lines, I would appreciate if you send them my way.

However, I don't anticipate being able to get an additional update
completed before the text must be frozen next week.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952