[arin-ppml] What is a "host"?

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Thu Sep 16 13:29:32 EDT 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 7:36 PM, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

>> Classically (read: not IPv6), a host is any device that speaks TCP/IP.
>> Node is used interchangeably while other terms are used to specify
>> specific types of host, such as a router.
>>

>> Officially in IPv6: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4294.txt

One other useful references in this context is:

Principles of Internet Host Configuration   <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5505>

Of course, I think device multi-homiing, virtualization and application-level
configuration options (e.g., layering violations) continue to blur and complicate
clear demarcation, introduce complexity and cause operational badness.

-danny