[arin-ppml] 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Sep 15 16:22:49 EDT 2010

On 15 Sep 2010, at 11:06, Owen DeLong wrote:

[...]

> HD-Ratio is intended to take into account the losses due to hierarchy inherent in scaling provider networks.
>
> End user networks tend to be flatter (within a given site) and thus not subject to those losses.

Some are but larger end user networks may well have similar hierarchies. It seems unfair to lump all kind of end user network operators into a single pot.

> As such, we felt that a simpler, easier to understand guideline was more appropriate to the circumstance.
> I'm not 100% convinced HD Ratio i a particularly good measure for ISPs, but, that's not the policy section
> we're fixing with this proposal. Certainly, I don't think it makes sense to saddle the end user policy with
> this metric just because it hasn't been used for ISPs as yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by stating that the HD-ratio has not yet been used for ISPs yet. Isn't it used to assess the initial allocation size when the ISP needs more than a /32?

Regards,

Leo Vegoda