[arin-ppml] What is a "host"?

Loki Jorgenson ljorgenson at inetco.com
Thu Sep 9 13:50:35 EDT 2010

  Pardon for butting in mid-conversation - but this particular bit of
semantics has aggravated us before and so it is topical.

"Host" tends to be rather over-loaded semantically and in general has
connotation that ties it to a physical or virtual machine.  It will
likely be problematic if you don't get your key terms defined,
particularly as it appears in policy and will need to be interpreted.
"Host" doesn't map well to IP addresses except in the simplest case.
And in an increasingly sensor network, mobile, and cloud-based world,
this won't fit well.

Alternately, I could suggest something like "node" (or "network node")
and subsequently "node IP end-point" or "IP node" or "IP end-point".
Here "end" relates to a point-to-point IP connection, not an end-to-end
network path.  Sensors (and anything else with an address) then are
simply IP nodes (or comprise at least one IP node).  A host then may
have a plurality of IP nodes (either physical or virtual).

NOTE:  I haven't looked closely at the document - I'm still catching up
having just joined the list.

--
Loki Jorgenson
ljorgenson at inetco.com