[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal): Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion - Last Call (text revised)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 29 15:51:07 EDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 1:48 PM, David Farmer wrote:

> Further more, yes it is a can of worms but, I believe it is ARIN's position that ARIN is essentially the issuing RIR for Legacy address space within the ARIN region, as through contracts it is successor registry to the previous registries that made the Legacy allocations. Additionally, I it is my understanding that the other RIRs have much cleaner contractual relationships with their Legacy holders.

That is correct: ARIN is the successor registry for legacy address space registrations within this region.

While other regions had a very modest number of legacy assignments to be brought under clearer contractual relations, the quantity of legacy registrations in the ARIN region make this process much more challenging.  Current statistics on progress in this area may be found here: <https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/legacy.html>

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN