[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 119: Globally Coordinated TransferPolicy - revised

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:25:12 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> McTim,
>
> I don't think it should be necessary to allow addresses to leave the AfriNIC region in order to pass this globally coordinated transfer policy. As I read it, passing both, in the absence of any local transfer policy in the AfriNIC region, would simply mean that AfriNIC does not object to other regions engaging in inter-RIR transfers, and would open up the possibility of AfriNIC participating at a later date if the community so chooses, perhaps upon exhaustion of the AfriNIC free pool.

If we pass it in the AfriNIC region, then we in the AfriNIC region
could only participate in inter Regional transfers until the
Exhaustion Phase as per the proposed Soft-Landing Policy.

> Do you still see a conflict? If so, can you explain further?

I understand your POV, however it just seems that the Global Transfer
Policy would be a hard sell in the AfriNIC region if the Soft Landing
reaches consensus.  AFAIK, the Global Transfer Policy hasn't been
introduced yet in the AfriNIC region.  If it is AND if the Soft
Landing is enacted, then AfriNIC would be bound by the Soft Landing
Policy NOT to agree to any inter RIR transfer.  That's my reading of
it anyway.

--
Cheers,

McTim