[arin-ppml] Policy requests

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Sat Oct 16 07:31:19 EDT 2010

Heather Schiller <heather.skanks at gmail.com> writes:

> Comments (lots!) in line..

+1 to pretty much everything Heather said.  One thing added on is below...

>> 3) I think there should be a mechanism to allow researchers to
>> advertise IP space that has been abandoned by criminals.  There
>> are lots of corner cases of course, but this sort of thing is
>> already happening, with 1/8 being advertised recently as a research
>> project.  Perhaps the easiest way to accommodate this would be to
>> wait until the IP allocation expires due to non-payment, then
>> assign that to a researcher.  For instance, it would be very nice
>> to be able to advertise ex-mccolo space, sinkhole the data to
>> Shadowserver, then provide telemetry back into the ISP community
>> about infections.
>
> 1/8 is NOT a research project!  It was allocated to APNIC!  They have
> allocated significant portions of it.  I believe they have not
> allocated the portions that were deemed to generate too much
> background noise.  They did do some test announcements when they first
> received it, in order to determine how polluted it was.
>
> I don't disagree with the idea.. I'm not sure it's an issue for the
> NRPM (policy manual) but more an ARIN operational practice.  You might
> try submitting it to the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion process:
> https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/index.html

Actually there is already a policy for this.  See section 11 of the NRPM.

https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#eleven

And bring your proposals, please!

Note that this is for pure research.  If you're planning to do traffic
analysis and sell the telemetry, this practice doesn't fly under section 11.

-r