[arin-ppml] Opposed to 2010-9 and 2010-12

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Fri Oct 15 08:13:37 EDT 2010

Mark Townsley <mark at townsley.net> writes:

> 6rd is just getting deployed now, so precisely how to transition it to native
> is still speculative. But, I know that technically it is quite possible (with
> equipment that will be available in 2011, if not today) to allow 6rd and
> native exist alongside one another in a very transparent manner to the
> end-user.

When the AC discussed what the policy ought to be, we did not consider
speculative repairs to the protocol or improvements in the
implementations.  I recall that in response to my suggestion in the
hallway that the real solution was 6rdbis (to include repairs to make
it better than a proof-of-concept hack [*]), you told me in so many
words that the ship had sailed, there would be no improvements, it's
what we've got, and that the protocol with all its warts was committed
to silicon, among other assertions reflecting inflexibility and having
one's mind made up.  We did, however, frame the discussion in terms of
the way in which operators of various levels of skill are likely to
configure the equipment in actual field use cases.  I'll defer to the
official statement for more.

-r

[*] which, in response to a comment you made earlier, was fully
deserving of the standing ovation it got at RIPE.  Rightful applause
and kudos for taking the initiative in a nationwide all-customers
technology demo, and being ready for prime time, are orthogonal as I
would expect anyone who works for an equipment vendor to grok at a
deeper level than most.