[arin-ppml] Controlling the IPv6 address consumption rate

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 14 21:24:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
>> First, IPv6's protocol design robs us of 64 bits.
>
> BS !!!!!!!!

Tony,

64 bits of IPv6's address space aren't dedicated to the LAN before
routing begins?

> The original
> design was 64 bits in total, but the routing world couldn't find enough room
> for themselves if they allowed any space for those pesky end users, so the
> design was revised to give the entire 64 bits to routing.

Hokay. Sure. Did it offend you that I described that I described the
local LAN as robbing from routing? Would you prefer something along
the lines of, "From the routing perspective, IPv6 is only 64 bits
large, not 128?" I humbly apologize for my choice of words.

> it is time you actually looked at the history and realized that
> there is no satisfying the routing side of this problem space.

Precisely. So if we don't want to burn through the space in 20 years,
we'd best recognize that nagging little problem and exercise some
caution, yes?

>> 8 bits also means you have only 14 bits left for the nice-to-haves. If
>> you spend 12 of those bits bringing the downstream end-user assignment
>> from the austere /60 to your preferred /48, you'll have only 2 bits
>> left. That doesn't give you much flexibility with your routing. Are
>> you sure you wouldn't rather put 4 of your bits to bring the
>> assignment up to /56 and use the remaining 10 to do smarter things
>> with your routing hierarchies? 256 LANs is a lot of LANs for all but
>> the largest customers.
>
> You assume that the end user has a network manager that is trained in
> network design.

I do? As near as I can figure, my assumptions about the end user's use
are that an assignment offering fewer addresses than a /60 won't work
out well and that over the lifespan of IPv6 each person on the planet
will consume at least one assignment. If you've read something more
about end users in my statement, you might not be tracking with what I
actually wrote.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004