[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 14 15:05:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Brian Johnson <bjohnson at drtel.com> wrote:
>>Do we want to sit around and wait for these guys while maintaining our
>>costly dual stacks? Or should we remove the issue from the equation so
>>that it no longer stands in the way of any IPv6 deployments?
>
> So now we are going to put people on some kind of "guilt trip" because
> of our decisions.

Brian,

Guilt trip? Heck, I don't care if the latecomers harm themselves with
their deployment choices. I do care if they harm me. I hope you care
if they harm you.

If you have to bend over backwards to continue talking to them on
IPv4, it seems to me like that harms you. You don't agree?

>>Preemptive assignment is no magic bullet. Some of these folks will
>>just find the next reason for delay. But why allow ARIN to be the
>>reason they haven't deployed yet?
>
> For me, the one-click option is the way to go. Make it easy to get the
> space but do not "force" the space on anyone.

I would support a 1-click IPv6 initial assignment/allocation process.
Would you care to draft a policy proposal?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004