[arin-ppml] Opposed to 2010-9 and 2010-12

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Oct 13 19:47:56 EDT 2010

In message <20101013232503.E70B05B1A60 at drugs.dv.isc.org>, Mark Andrews writes:

> In message <AANLkTiknLC+oXF9QLTBGp=XrxGSgPRG8Rg-SJq-8MpSs at mail.gmail.com>, Wi
> ll
> iam Herrin writes:
> > Mark,
> >
> > In theory, it works for any number of prefixes. So there's this old
> > joke I heard:
> >
> > What's the difference between theory and practice?
> > In theory, there is no difference.
> >
> > Preparing and maintaining the configuration for one 6rd prefix is easy
> > enough. Two is not so bad. But a hundred? I wouldn't want to be the
> > guy stuck with debugging that morass.

ISP's allocate address blocks to 1000's of commercial clients.
Finding a new 6rd prefix for a new IPv4 allocation is no harder
that finding a address block for a commercial client.  In fact it
is easier as you can (but it would not be desirable) create multiple
prefixes if you find there is not a existing block that is big
enough.

If ISP's can support 1000's of commercial client address blockss
they can support 100's of 6rd prefixes.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC