[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - October 2010
cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 17:44:25 EDT 2010
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 15:34, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you care to address the question of whether we should wait until each
> RIR has had a chance to discuss the proposal at a public meeting before we
> send it on to last call and then to the board?
The problem with the "wait and see" approach is that if all the RIRs
adopt it, then the policy never goes anywhere because no RIR actually
does anything (since they are all waiting to see what the others do).
Note: I do not think that is what is happening here but I do want to
ensure that it does not become that.
I fully support the AC spending a proper amount of time (and effort)
on each proposal, even if that means taking several meetings to
advance a policy to last call. In this case, there is some urgency
around 2010-10 simply because global policies seem to need momentum.
Having the policy in last call in one region before the conversation
in the next helps build that momentum. Of course, the strong consensus
in the room in Atlanta coupled with the AC's commitment to discuss the
draft at their next meeting at length are both strong indicators of
momentum as well.
We need to remember that this policy is needed at (preferably before)
the time of IANA IPv4 exhaustion, which is quickly approaching no
matter who's clock you use.
> I support this proposal, but I think it has a better chance of success if we
> work to accept input from the other regions. IMO that was our (my) biggest
> failing with 2009-3: we passed the modified version it in our region, but
> never brought the modified version up for discussion anywhere else.
Very true - one thing to note in this case however is that the
proposed policy text was floated in all five regions before being
submitted as an official proposal and has since been discussed at two
meetings now (APNIC and ARIN). I believe that the intent of the
policy is sound and will not need to be materially changed in any
I would rather move the policy to an extended last-call where it can
receive any final edits prior to adoption by the board.
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
More information about the ARIN-PPML