[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - October 2010

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Wed Oct 13 16:33:13 EDT 2010

On 10/13/10 3:36 PM, "Sweeting, John" <john.sweeting at twcable.com> wrote:

> Marty,
>
> Thanks for the opportunity to respond:
>
> The main issue is that the official label for those addresses is legacy
> addresses but not all legacy addresses are wrapped up in that particular
> issue. Since we became aware that the issue surrounding these particular
> addresses should/would/will be cleared up in the next 10 days or so and given
> the struggle that we had trying to find language that would work we decided as
> a body to table the motion to send it to last call. This will be dealt with on
> our very next AC call which is scheduled for November 18th.

John,

I'm not challenging anything other than the fact that the AC opted to table
something that they had strong direction to work on. It's fair for us to ask
for the AC to legitimize a decision especially when there is clear
consensus.

With regards to the global proposal, you both (Bill and you) have now said
that Geoff's hypothetical issues will be moot in a few days. This proposal
is nowhere near adoption or implementation and won't be within ten days. It
will likely take six months or more if it is even adopted globally. I think
that issue is a non-issue unless there's something that don't know that
didn't come out in the list or meeting discussion.

That leaves Owens reading of some language which had identified as unclear
and we asserted that he was in error. Still, we suggested some text to
clarify and since it's only an edit related to clarity and not context it
could also be easily dealt with by the ASO AC at the end of the cycle and in
compliance with their PDP as well as all of the other regions.

This proposal is on the agenda of three other RIR forums at the moment.
LACNIC next week, Rome after that and AfriNIC following that. Making a major
modification at this point is a problem as was demonstrated with 2009-06,
and holding it up for a non context impacting clarity concern doesn't seem
reasonable all considered.

Best,

-M<