[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 13 14:01:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM, George, Wes E IV [NTK]
<Wesley.E.George at sprint.com> wrote:
>> Respectfully, "does it actually work" is germane to -every- policy
>> discussion.
>
> [WES] Never said otherwise. Matter of fact, I think that's exactly
>what I'm saying, Bill. Does preemptively assigning every ASN in
>the table an IPv6 address actually work (by itself) in getting
>them to deploy? You say

I say it moves the ball down field so that the next play or the play
after is in a position to score. That's how you succeed in any major
endeavor - one step at a time.

> Seriously, regardless of what metaphor you use, we're not
>actively doing something to prevent people from getting IPv6
>allocations if they can justify them (except possibly for 6rd).

If we ratify 2010-8 I'll agree with you, at least for end-user
assignments. I respect that you would like to stop there. Stopping
there is fair.

I'd like to go the extra mile -- not just remove barriers but reach
out and actively advocate deployment. As a matter of advocacy, it
stands undisputed that:

"Here are your shiny new addresses. Please start using them."

is a vastly more powerful message than

"You should use IPv6. Pay us and fill out the permission slip."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004