[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 119: Globally Coordinated Transfer Policy

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Oct 13 12:34:50 EDT 2010

ARIN wrote:

> Policy statement: Any RIR's member may transfer IPv4 addresses to the
> member of another RIR as long as the two RIRs agree and exercise
> Internet stewardship and the values expressed in RFC2050.
>
> Rationale: Since individual RIRs now allow transfers, it makes sense to
> be able to transfer between regions as well.
>
> Timetable for implementation: upon ratification of all five RIRs
>
> Timetable for de-implementation: upon change to this policy text in any RIR

I support the policy, but I believe it could use some bolt tightening.

I too would like to see more explicitly that transfers between members
of different RiR's are to be made only pursuant to the policies of both
origin and destination registry.

I believe that is the intent of the current language.

Stewardship and RFC reference I am neutral on. Isnt all policy already
predicated on those terms?

The effect of this policy as opposed to one that mandates registries to
accept transfers is that it punts the issue straight to each registry,
allowing it to ignore the issue or take it on as it chooses to.

I wonder what the current status is. Is there anything that explicitly
prevents registries from behaving in this fashion currently? Or is it
simple inference and current practice not to do so?

Is there any differentiation to be made either under this policy or
without it for legacy space?

A registry that does attempt to enable inter-registry transfer according
to this global policy will probably find the task to be somewhat complex
and tedious and requiring significant cooperation and coordination
between the registries to determine process and compatibility.

Joe