[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Oct 12 14:54:36 EDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 11:02 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

> There are many discussions about how giving out address space does not
> cause deployment.   I agree that is is true for ISPs, which is largely
> who is involved in ARIN, and who care about routing table sizes.
>
> It is not the same situation for enterprises.
> Please see debate about non-connected IPv6 allocations starting about a
> year ago.
>
> Few enterprises have any reason to deploy IPv6 today.  While the smart
> ones go and get some address space from a tunnel broker and use that as
> their "site-local" address space, this doesn't work for everyone.
> (We had a long conversation about ULA-Random, and why it also doesn't
> suit everyone).
>
> An enterprise which currently pays no fees to ARIN: either because they
> have no resources (or because they were an early adopter last time, and
> they have only Legacy resources), can not make a business case for
> getting IPv6 space.  Even that ridiculously low cost of $1250 is hard.

Correct.  They will use their IPv4 until it's worthless to connect to
the Internet any further, then they will start paying the $1,250.00 USD
a year.

Might I suggest that ARIN consider instituting MONTHLY billing for these
orgs?  Perhaps sticking them for $150.00 a month instead of $1250 a
year?  Remember the pointy-haired boss directed Dilbert to purchase a
new computer using about 20 separate PO's for under $500 because that
was his signing authority?  Maybe the same thing would work here, using
the same principle?

Ted