[arin-ppml] # of subnets to qualify a network

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Oct 11 19:35:57 EDT 2010

On 9/20/10 12:59 CDT, David Farmer wrote:
> On 9/20/10 10:53 CDT, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> Given that we are talking about IPv6 renumbering, not IPv4 renumbering,
>> subnets still seems like a good measure. In IPv6, the subnets are
>> unchanged
>> and you just change the network prefix handed out by SLAAC or DHCPv6.
> If we can come to some kind of consensus on a subnet count I would be
> happy to add that into the policy as a fifth clause in section 6.5.8.1
> Initial Assignment Criteria. It will probably be after the up coming
> meeting, as I doubt we can come to a consensus in the next day or two,
> in order get it into the text prior to the 10 day freeze before the
> meeting.

In the presentation of 2010-8 in Atlanta I proposed adding a new clause
to 6.5.8.1 as follows;

"d. By having a network that makes active use of a minimum of 200 /64
subnets within 12 months, or;"

I'd be interested in any comments on the appropriateness of the number
200.  There is no magic in the number, I mostly just picked a number. It
seemed like it should be at least an order of magnitude less that the
current host count of 2000. But I'm open to suggestions, especially any
suggestion with a good rationale for the number.

Thanks.
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952