[arin-ppml] IPv6 Transition Policy (aka Soft Landing)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri Oct 8 13:04:58 EDT 2010

Chris,

Your pill needs more sugar coating.

I could only be comfortable with something like this were it to be
accompanied by a much larger framework for reserved pools of addresses,
address pools which had other qualifiers for eligibility, such as new
organizations, organizations with no existing or seriously limited
resources, one-shot open to anybody pool, and similar.

I also would like for such a proposal to encompass more or the entirety
of the last /8 and to be refilled by returns/revokes if/when they occur.

A proposal that pits ARIN dictates against needs and desires of its
members is not good policy. A balance must be struck. Rewards need to be
offered to offset punishments.

Impedance mismatches between policy IPv6 dictates and
business/self-interest goals will cause real issues and resentments.

Trying to force people to do things they would not do otherwise is a
risky proposition.

Something that casts ARIN as the real bad guy would be enough for me not
to support a proposal even were it to have the net positive benefit of
locking down more resources at a lower burn rate.

Thanks,

Joe