[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:20:04 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Brandon Thetford <brandon at dodecatec.com> wrote:
>>>can I point you (and these netadmins) at tunnelbroker.net? mr leber runs a
>> very nice service, with your ASN (or not) you can get a /48 routed down a
>> tunnel to you for this very purpose.
>>
>> Yes, but this also comes with the need to renumber once you finally get a
>> "real" allocation, down the line.  That alone may be enough to scare some
>> off until an alternative, more permanent solution is available.
>
> Tunnels are nifty. I learned a great deal about IPv6 using tunnels.
> Thank you Hurricane Electric.
>
> Now I'm done with tunnels. I'll start my for-real IPv6 deployment once
> I have my for-real addresses.

according to the presos at ARIN this week... it's pretty simple to get
your for-real addresses. one would suggest a solid numbering plan, and
understanding of what technology you may need to employ for your
deployment are good to have in hand, though not required for initial
assignment.

Do you need 6rd because of standards/equipment failures in your chosen
deployment? Do you have other technology driven requirements?
Hopefully in your testing with the fun HE tunnels you've found out
what is possible and NOT possible in your build, yes?

> Don't kid yourselves. The other existing Origin ASes will start their
> for-real IPv6 deployments only after obtaining registry addresses as
> well.

of course, no one should deploy production services on tunneled
transport... well, free-tunnels :), and with the expectation that
renumbering will be required at some point in time.

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Christopher Morrow
> <christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suspect a /32 is probably NOT
>> enough for most ISP-type folks anyway, so just assigning a random /32
>> isn't super helpful...
>
> Chris,
>
> With the new tech out there like 6rd, what's your best guess as to
> what size a preemptive ISP allocation should be for those 2661
> ARIN-region ISPs (75%) that haven't yet gotten their IPv6 allocations?

that probably depends a LOT on what sort of ISP these are, and what
their deployment today looks like (for v4 services). For instance, are
they a:
  o hosting company (seems like fairly simple 'drop a v6 addr on your
gear, slap one toward the customer-ip, done!)
  o transit/business ISP (put ipv6 on your devices, offer prefixes to
your customers, done!)
  o consumer ISP (cable/dsl/ftth/etc - see deployment situations for issues)

For the consumer-isp folks... that's where 6rd seems to be necessary
(depending upon their deployment scenario today, of course, it's not
at all a forgone conclusion that 6rd is required in all of these
deployments)

So, in short, it depends a lot on what things the ISP is required to
do... prescribing an answer doesn't seem helpful :( (or so far the
'/32 for isps' answer hasn't been helpful)

-Chris