[arin-ppml] early experimenter /32 catch-22

Andrew Dul - andrew.dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Thu Oct 7 15:27:39 EDT 2010

We told people to go out and get a /32 to get some experience with IPv6,
so a lot of people went out and were allocated /32s.  Now that we are
actually getting ready to deploy production networks a number of the large
providers need to get larger blocks to address their networks even though
they haven't used up their current /32.

Seems like we need a simple policy that will either allow an ISP to return
the /32 in exchange for a larger block or get an additional larger block
that they can renumber into.

This "production" block should be justified based upon current customer
count, an expected growth rate over the next 5-10 years, and the expected
network topology assuming some regional aggregation for large networks.

Some thoughts for discussion...

Andrew