[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 7 11:46:17 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

Over the course of the week I've had the opportunity to talk to a
number of wonderful folks in the operator community here at the
meeting in Atlanta. As expected we often talked of IPv6 and in some
cases the conversation wandered to a question that has puzzled me for
some time:

"Why not look in the BGP table, take every announced ARIN AS number
and preemptively assign IPv6 addresses to each associated organization
that doesn't already have them? Not forever of course... give it three
years and then the assignments evaporate unless claimed by signing an
RSA and paying the annual fees."

When I posed this question the responses were largely variants on,
"That would make too much sense."

So I put it to the list. Have we some stick rammed far enough up our
collective backside that we're willing to tell people: you MUST deploy
IPv6, it alone will save the Internet's soul. And oh by the way you
need our permission to start for real. So fill out the form, make your
checks payable and we'll get back to you.

For your consideration,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004