[arin-ppml] Policy Question(s)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Oct 5 05:22:41 EDT 2010

In message <0F29D1BA57992E4CAB5AD2C9AE7B42393777FABA at EMV01-UKBR.domain1.systemh
ost.net>, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

>> >    Ronald> Would it ever have been permissible for Company B to sell,
>> >    Ronald> to ``gift'', or to in any other way transfer, just late
>> last
>> >    Ronald> year, its /18 to this brand new LLC, Company C?
>
>Companies often divest part of their operations to another company.
>Sometimes they just sell network assets which would include a functioning
>network and its IP addresses and customers.

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear.  I left out some important details.

As far as I can tell there was no transfer of customers, nor of any networking
hardware, not of any ``hosts''.  Just the IP space.

Now, is _this_ scenario considered usual & customary?

Is it considered acceptable, under current policy?

>The receiving company generally has its own network and integrates the
>two networks, reusing the old addresses on the integrated network before
>decommissioning the purchased one.

Again, I may not have been clear.  The ``receiving'' company (C) in this case
was only born in October of last year.  It had no network of its own prior
to that, nor any customers, prior to that, nor any IP addresses, prior to that.
As far as I can tell, all it ever has had was the /18 it was given (as a
birthday gift?) by Company B.

So now, as I have clarified it, is _this_ scenario considered usual & customary?

Is it considered acceptable, under current policy?

>Truth is stranger than fiction which means that a lot of oddities are
>perfectly normal.

Yes, however this one is looking like a Greek god...

  ``Athena leaped from Zeus's head, fully grown and armed -- with a shout...''

Company C only came into being in October of last year, and yet presto-changeo!
It seems to have been born fully formed, like Athena, with its own /18 (which,
it would seem, may never have been justified or audited in any way, despite
its being non-legacy space).

(Remember, this is _not_ ``legacy'' space we are talking about.  The /18 in
question was first allocated... presumaby by ARIN, under an RSA... in July,
1999.)

So my question remains... if _someone_ creates a brand new, fresh, newly
manufactured LLC, can some other company that happens to have an unused
/18 lying around just ``gift'' that /18 to this new legal entity the
very next day?

And if that does happen, shouldn't ARIN balk at putting the new entity's
name into the WHOIS record as the new legal ``owner'' of the block?