[arin-ppml] Props. 122 + 123 process?

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 15:01:01 EST 2010

(Speaking solely for myself.)


My understanding is that the AC can make a recommendation to the Board
at any time (via a regularly scheduled or specially called meeting)
that, for example, we believe a certain issue requires emergency
policy action, and that we believe they should initiate the Emergency
PDP.  With or without such a recommendation, the Board can decide (at
a regularly scheduled or specially called meeting) to invoke the
Emergency PDP, which is detailed in section 7.1 of
https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html, and triggers a 2-week PPML
discussion and up to 1 week of AC review before a final decision by
the Board.

I'm still not sure I understand the need for emergency policy action
here, though.  Can you explain in a little bit more detail what
irreparable harm you foresee if we don't take action before the April
public policy meeting?

As I see it, we can expect to hit IANA exhaustion sometime in the
first quarter of 2011, perhaps in January.  At that point, the last
/8s will be distributed, and a /10 will be reserved per 4.10.  ARIN
will continue making allocations normally until the ARIN free pool
shrinks to the point where a particular large request cannot be met.
At that point, 2010-1 will kick in, and the requester will have the
option of specifying a smaller block, or going on the waiting list
(and presumably looking for a block of the appropriate size on the
transfer market).  All organizations will also be limited to receiving
one allocation, assignment, or transfer every 3 months.

As a result, I expect that there will be some time between IANA
exhaustion and the point at which ARIN is no longer able to fill
requests for /24s, and that this most likely will not occur until
after our April meeting.  However, even if the general free pool is
exhausted of /24s by then, we'll still have the 4.10 reserved /10
available, so we could modify proposal 123 slightly to carve out a /16
of that for critical infrastructure.  (That would be 1.6% of the /10.)

I'm even less clear on why 122 should be considered an emergency.  In
its current form, it simply prevents any allocations out of 4.10's
reserved /10 for several months.  Since there is a /24 maximum
allocation size under 4.10, such allocations will only start to be
needed once ARIN is unable to meet /24 requests out of the general
pool.  And since requesters of space under 4.10 can only get one block
every 6 months, I don't expect much of the reserved /10 to be used up
before our April meeting.

So, unless you can point out a substantial risk of irreparable harm
resulting from inaction between now and April, I don't see any need
for emergency policy action on these proposals, and would instead
suggest we run 123, and any suggestions people have for improving
4.10, though the normal policy process.


P.S.  Hope you all enjoyed Thanksgiving at AfriNIC!

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:
> We've established that at least Prop 123 is a no-brainer and are on the way
> to finding support with 122.
> Both say "emergency" on them. The next A/C meeting and BoT meerings are some
> time off. The smart money believes that the IANA is going to exhaust in
> early January which means if we are going to do something we need to do it
> now?
> What's the process?
> Best,
> -M<
> PS: Happy Thanksgiving, all! I wouldn't normally be posting on such a
> fabulous food day except that I'm in bountiful Africa, specifically airy
> Johannesburg, at the juicy AfriNIC meeting presenting a fully baked global
> proposal. ;)  Enjoy!
> _______________________________________________
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.

More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list