[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 122: Reserved Pool for Future Policy Development

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Wed Nov 24 09:56:45 EST 2010

On 11/24/10 4:37 PM, "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> In a message written on Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:02:01AM -0500, Hannigan,
> Martin wrote:
>> I think that there's almost enough information to get people on the same
>> page. We're still not sure what the "final" inventory of address space will
>> be with respect to the last /8's; 3 x /8 at the end or 1 x /8 at the end to
>> add to whatever may be in reserve. Reserve pools are allowed for under the
>> current global allocation policy and are not counted when seeking new /8's.
>
> I am confused by your statement.  My understanding of the current
> policy framework is that ARIN will allocate all IP space not reserved
> for some purpose, and the only reservations I know of are the /10
> we're discussing and the /16 proposed for CI.  There is no other
> inventory.

My first point was that perhaps a /10 is too small. The other point related
to inventory was related to current RIR inventories. When an RIR applies to
the IANA they have utilization requirements like we do. One of those
requirements allows an RIR to mark "pools" as reserved. When the
requirements are tallied, the pools marked reserved are counted as 100% used
even if they are not used.

Hence, we don't know what the ARIN inventory will be at the point of the
issuance of the last /8. There are 6 /8's available now from the IANA. RIR's
typically, historically, receive two. That leaves four RIR's that "may"
become eligible to receive /8's from the IANA since Afrinic took one out of
seven that were available last week.

Let's stretch a bit:

"The date, frankly, is about to hit you in the head, and it's in January.
And in all likelihood that's when the trigger will occur. You know right now
when the date is. And it could come faster, by the way. It could come very
much faster, depending on the drawdown rate. The drawdown rate is
increasing, not slowing. And, therefore, I don't think we should spend any
energy."

        --Steve Ryan, ARIN Counsel

Six would seem like more than enough to get us through January, perhaps even
February. Theoretically, the next three RIR's that become eligible for the
allocation of two /8's from the IANA will receive the six. Then the cliff
allocation of the last 5 /8's will occur and IANA is at zero. I don't know
what ARIN has in reserved pools and if they are used. Do you? It's possible
that _any_ RIR could end up with more than 3 x /8 depending upon their
"luck" as I think that the days of coordinating draw down have come to a
close. My understanding is that the AfriNIC draw was, erm, un-timed.

It's likely that three RIR's will end the game with 2 x /8 + 1 x /8 from the
final allocation and one will end up with 1 x /8.

That probably made things more confusing. Sorry.

Best,

-M<