[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 122: Reserved Pool for Future Policy Development

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Nov 19 08:54:11 EST 2010

I also question the statement regarding the nature of the consensus that
was reached regarding the current 4.10.  I will agree that there was
consensus that the current 4.10 is "insufficient" and needs additional
guidance provided to staff regarding what the community thinks is
appropriate use of this reserved block.

But, I did not hear a consensus that the rational for 2008-5, which is
now 4.10, was fundamentally wrong.  Or that we do not need to reserve a
block of IPv4 for deployment of IPv6 by those that will not have any
other IPv4 in the future.

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2008_5.html

Therefore, I not sure there was a consensus that the current 4.10 is
"potentially damaging and unbalanced with respect to transition efforts."

However, I would like the author of this proposal to further explain his
view of the consensus that was reached, and how the current 4.10 is
"potentially damaging and unbalanced with respect to transition efforts."

Do others support the author's view regarding the consensus that was
reached or that the current 4.10 is damaging?

If we are going to revisit this issue again at this late date in terms
of IPv4 run-out I would like to see a very strong show of support from
the community to do so.  Without a strong show of support from the
community to revisit this issue again, I believe that we should simply
leave 4.10 as it is until staff has some implementation experience to
report.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952