[arin-ppml] audit tools and techniques

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Nov 10 03:53:55 EST 2010

On 11/9/2010 5:24 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2010, at 4:23 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> On Nov 5, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>>
>>> "...ARIN will maintain, and make readily available to the
>>> community, a current list of number resources with no valid POC;
>>> this data will be subject to the current bulk Whois policy...."
>>>
>>> I would recommend that any "auditing" be concentrated on this
>>> list FIRST.
>>>
>>> John, please provide the URL for this list and Ron can do his
>>> auditing on that.
>>
>> Ted - We're actively working on the automation to generate this
>> list.  I'll provide an ETA shortly. /John
>
> Ted -
>
> This functionality is available within ARIN Online to those that have
> a signed Bulk WHOIS Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) on file with ARIN.
> Through this feature, ARIN provides a list of resources with no valid
> Points of Contacts (POCs).  This report is available on the Downloads
> tab when logged in to ARIN Online.

Many thanks for what was probably stuck on someone's already overloaded
plate!

One thing that does concern me though is the following:

"... Distribution of derivative data is only permitted with the express
written permission of ARIN and under the same terms as this AUP..."

Would summary totals be considered derivative data?  Meaning that if
I were to sign a bulk AUP, write an an awk script that counted the
numbers of networks in the no-valid-poc-resource-report.txt file
and typed in a numerical total in a post on PPML would I be in violation
of the AUP?

It seems to me that most people would merely be interested in the
totals anyway - would ARIN consider putting a "total number of
Number Resources Without Valid POCs is currently at XXXX" on the
download page?

Ted