[arin-ppml] REQUEST FOR ARIN STAFF Was: Re: Policy Proposal 120: Protecting Number Resources

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Nov 9 20:41:19 EST 2010

In a message written on Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 04:35:03PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> How does reclamation in any way improve this beyond what is
> accomplished by marking records with invalid/unverifiable POC
> data as such and leaving them?

I believe there are folks who will look for that in whois and target
those blocks for hijacking.  I'd like to think every ISP carefully
checked the records before routing things, but we have years of
evidence that is not the case.  I fear we are creating an attractive
nussance.

> The only reason to bother reclaiming is if you intend to reissue.
> Since there does seem to be consensus that reissuing is of little
> value, is there any reason to allocate resources to reclamation
> instead of merely marking invalid/unresponsive records?

I believe the space should be re-issued.  I also disagree strongly
that reissueing is of little value.  It may be of little value with
respect to the problem of extending the life of IPv4, but that is
not the only measure.

It will be of huge value to the lucky recipients who are able to
get the space from ARIN who otherwise would not have had that
opportunity and either had to go without or buy it on the open
market.  Several others have attempted to estimate the value using
various measures, and the numbers are quite large.  I think there
is likely a lot of value to getting this space back in the system.