[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 120: Protecting Number Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 9 18:16:52 EST 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Nov 9, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:

Leo,

Thank you for your explanation. It seems as though you would like to start with low hanging fruit where "abandoned" would mean:

 1.  the address space is not routed; and
 2.  one of the following circumstances applies:
    *   administrative (or technical?) contact disavows use of the space
    *   no contacts can be found either by email, by phone, or by post.

2(b) is problematic IMHO. Just because we can't locate the contacts does not mean that
the organization is defunct or has stopped utilizing the resources.

Some other attributes also to consider (I'm not advocating either way, but just
providing some additional insight that may be of use):

  1) Was the address space ever routed, and/or how long ago?

      We don't have absolute data on this but do have some reference
      sources that appear fairly accurate.

  2) Are there valid (i.e. reachable & responding to SOA queries) in-addr DNS
      nameservers for the address space?

      Again, while not perfect due to use of split horizon, it can be a valid sign
      of life...

We look into some of these data points when researching hijacking/fraud
cases.

FYI,
/John